The measurement systems help you and your customers in the planning and quality control of winter maintenance activities on the roads and at the airports.
Surface condition and friction measurements
Road Weather Station RWS10 has been developed for fixed installations along the roadside. It features all the essential road weather measurements, including surface condition, friction, water/ice layer thickness, air pressure, surface temperature and dew point temperature. Existing roadside infrastructure may be used for easy commissioning.
Road Condition Monitor RCM411 and the associated data acquisition and displaying system are designed for mobile road weather measurements in winter maintenance. The performance of RCM411 has been verified in several published third party tests and comparisons. Data acquisition is integrated in a single application, which records GPS information and communicates all the collected data to a server for displaying it in Mobile Road Condition Map™.
- Optimized timing of maintenance operations
- Savings in salting operations through optimization
- Increased road safety and improved driving conditions
- Decreased environmental impact
- Enhanced road weather forecasts
Road weather monitoring with Road Weather Station RWS10
RWS10 is a compact road weather station using optical technology. The station consists of two non-invasive sensors and a control cabinet. The firmware of the sensor measures the optical reflection signals and analyses the data to produce a road surface condition and friction report.
RWS10 reports the following road surface and road weather information
- surface condition
- coefficient of friction
- water/ice layer thickness
- air pressure
- surface temperature
- dew point temperature
RWS10 station highlights
- easy installation: when a power line is available, the installation to an existing mast can be carried out within an hour
- cost-efficient solution for all basic road weather measurements
- minor maintenance needs
- automatic software updates and remote control of parameters
The sensor RCM411R emits infrared light to the surface and measures the reflection of light. The water and/or ice on the road surface attenuate the reflected light as compared to the calibrated values. The degree of signal attenuation depends on the quantity of ice or water. Snow is seen as ice in the spectre and can be distinguished from hard ice. The measurement data analysis is executed in the microprocessor of the sensor.
Mobile road weather monitoring with Road Condition Monitor RCM411™
RCM411 is an optical sensor based on spectral analysis. The firmware of the sensor measures the optical reflection signals and analyses the data to produce a road surface condition and friction report.
RCM411 reports the following road surface information
- Surface condition
- Coefficient of friction
- Water layer thickness
RCM411 sensor highlights
- Easy and fast installation in any vehicle, from passenger vehicles to plough trucks, easily transferable to another vehicle
- Low purchasing cost and economic life cycle costs of the total measurement system
- The system is almost maintenance free: only cleaning of lenses may occasionally be needed
- Automatic software updates and remote control of parameters
The sensor emits infrared light to the surface and measures the light reflection. The water and/or ice on the road surface attenuate the reflected light as compared to the calibrated values. The degree of signal attenuation depends on the amount of ice or water. Snow is seen as ice in the spectre and can be distinguished from hard ice. The measurement data analysis is executed in the microprocessor of the sensor.
- Brochure of Road Condition Monitor RCM411
- Datasheet of Road Condition Monitor RCM411, Roads
- Datasheet of Road Condition Monitor RCM411, Runways
- Test report of the Finnish Transport Agency (2011)
- Test report of the Finnish Transport Agency on mobile sensors (2013)
- SIRWEC 2012 Extended Abstract Experiences of Mobile Road Condition Monitoring
- SIRWEC 2012 Presentation Experiences of Mobile Road Condition Monitoring
- SIRWEC 2012 Extended Abstract Relation of Road Surface Friction and Salt Concentration
- PIARC Winter Road Congress 2014 Article Continuous Skid Resistance Test
- PIARC Winter Road Congress 2014 Presentation Continuous Skid Resistance Test
- Article in Geologi Magazine Protecting groundwater: rethinking the use of road salt in modern winter maintenance
- PIARC Winter Road Congress 2018 Article Using Buses for Road Weather Data Collection
- PIARC Winter Road Congress 2018 Presentation Using Buses for Road Weather Data Collection
- A field study of sensors for winter road assessment by Faculty of Engineering Science and Technology, UiT The Arctic University of Norway
- Viabilité hivernale : Fiche technique du Détecteur de l’état de chaussée RCM411, Routes
- Viabilité hivernale : Fiche technique du Détecteur de l’état de chaussée RCM411, Pistes d’aéroport
- Winterdienst: Datenblatt des Sensors zur Fahrbahnzustandserkennung RCM411, Strassen
- Winterdienst: Datenblatt des Sensors zur Fahrbahnzustandserkennung RCM411, Rollfelder
- Viabilidad invernal: Ficha técnica del Detector del estado de la carretera RCM411
- Зимнее обслуживание: Спецификация датчика состояния поверхности дороги RCM411
RCM411 demo drive
Surface temperature sensor RTS411/RTS411SA and Surface temperature and dew point sensor RTD411SA can be used as stand-alone units or as an integrated part of the Road condition monitoring system. The standalone versions include sensor heads and an enclosure with Bluetooth unit. A mobile device is used for user interface in the vehicle and for data transmission to selected servers. Mounting is easy on the metallic parts of the vehicle by using a magnetic fixture.
- Datasheet of Road Surface Temperature Sensor RTS411SA
- Datasheet of Road Surface Temperature and Dew Point Sensor RTD411SA
- Fiche technique du Capteur de température de chaussée RTS411SA
- Fiche technique du Capteur de température de chaussée et de point de rosée RTD411SA
- Datenblatt des Sensors für Fahrbahntemperatur RTS411SA
- Datenblatt des Sensors für Fahrbahn- und Taupunkttemperatur RTD411SA
Friction Meter µTEC™
µTEC is an Android smartphone application, which is based on measurement of acceleration while braking a car so that the tires start to slip. µTEC has been certified for Quality Control measurements by the Finnish Transport Infrastructure Agency.
- Coefficient of friction
- Vehicle speed and direction (phone GPS)
- Vehicle location (phone GPS)